1 hotels in this place
Kourou is a town in French Guiana. Together with the Îles de salut outside the coast it used to be part of a penal colony for the worst criminals in France, but in 1946 the prisons were closed. Since the 1960's it's been best known for the Guiana Space Centre.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Kourou
- Guiana Space Centre (Centre Spatial Guyanais) (west of the town). Kourou is primarily known for the European Space Agency's launch site. Take a guided tour of the area or watch a rocket launch.
- Dreyfus tower. A tower on a small peninsula that formerly was used for Morse communication between the mainland and the islands outside the coast.
- Penal colony buildings. From the mid-19th century.
Popular events in Kourou in the near future
- There are great beaches in and around Kourou. In July and August there's a free open air cinema on the beach.
- Carnival is celebrated in February; this means street parades every Sunday and a more intensive nightlife.
- Pôle Culturel de Kourou, Avenue Thomas Guidiglo, ☎ 0594223290, 0594223140, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The cultural centre of Kourou with regular events, a movie theater and an art gallery
- Cinéma Urania, rue des Tamanoirs. Yet another place to go and see a movie.
- Kong Longs. Good food and good prices at Kong Longs and they speak English, French and Chinese.
- Chez WaïWaï (next to the CV). A good and affordable Chinese restaurant, dishes around €6.
- Le Singapour, rue Duchesne. Another good Chinese restaurant with a good television.
- Chez Joseph. Cuisine based on things like termites, ants, opossums, cingulata, iguanas. Everyone reportedly knows where this restaurant is.
- Chez Disou (in the village of Saramaca). Brouchettes/skewers of meat and fish. €2 for a brouchette.
- Pizzeria de Kourou, Avenue du Lac. Good pizzas and a swimming pool in the restaurant. €15 for a pizza and an aperitif.
- Aux delices. A Creole restaurant in the old part (vieux bourg) of the town. Try the delicious green papaya gratin. You can dance on the terrace.
There are several food markets in the town:
- Tuesdays and Fridays on the morning until about 13:00 on Place de la République.
- Every morning except Sunday you can buy fish in the fish hall in the old part of the town. Also worth a visit if you aren't going to buy.
- Saturday mornings there's a vegetable market next to the road (Avenue du Général De Gaulle) to the fish hall
- The old part of the town has some nice bars including Guyarock Café, Saxo Club, Talon Aiguille, l'Yguana café and Vieux Montmartre
- Bar des Sports opposite the post house is popular among French Foreign Legion servicemen.
- Bar le 13 has a large terrace, good ambience seems to be the hangout for many of the people working in central Kourou. Belgian beers on the tap.
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Kourou on Wikivoyage.