2 hotels in this place
Manta is a major coastal city located in the Coastal Lowlands of Ecuador. Manta is a commercial and vacation resort area and is the second largest seaport in Ecuador. The city's main industries include tuna fishing, canning, and processing; coffee and cocoa bean export; and crafting the tagua nut into artwork.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Manta
Manta hosts an International Theater Festival every year in September. There are sporting events from January through April. Downtown you can find first rate night clubs, bars, and casinos.
- Banco Central Museum, Avenida 8 and Calle 7 (located behind the Bus terminal). displays ceramics from the pre-Columbian Huancavilca-Manteño era culture.
Popular events in Manta in the near future
Between 1999 and 2009, Manta shared its airport with the U.S. Air Force in unison with Ecuador in strategic warfare against Colombian drug cartel traffic through surveillance flights in an effort to stop the flow of illegal narcotics. In 1996 a Boeing 707 cargo aircraft crashed into a wooden church located in Manta. It was reported that amazingly the statue of the virgin remained intact. Manta was also the host city for the sixth South American Windsurfing Championship in 1991.
Manta is located in a dry tropical forest area with an average annual temperature of 25 degrees Celsius (77° F). The area has a wide variety of climate zones attributed geographical characteristics of the area. During the year, there are two seasons; rainy, and dry. The rainy season is approximately six months long when it is hot and humid, and occurs from December to May. The dry season is approximately six months long and occurs during the months of June to November. It is warm but very low humidity.
The evenings is a hive of activity of partying people, loud music and meandering cars that form around the nearby side streets and main frontage of the Malecón that arcs around the bay. Bathed in constant ocean winds, the Malecón is always a pleasant and most refreshing area to walk in the evening and taking in the night breezes.
- Fantasy Casino, Malecón y Calle 23 (Next to the Oro Verde Hotel), ☎ (593)-5262-9200. Very nice casino operated by the Oro Verde Hotel. The casino was totally renovated and it's new look debuted in early 2007. Traditional and video slot machines, Blackjack and poker tables, American Roulette. Drinks, beverages and snacks are available. Small dance floor with live entertainment on weekends.
- Plaza Casino. is operated by the Howard Johnson Hotel. The casino opened for business mid 2006. Traditional and video slot machines, Blackjack and poker tables, American Roulette. Drinks, beverages and snacks are available. The casino has a small mezzanine where bands play supplying the live entertainment on weekends.
- El Murciélago, This is the most popular beach area in Manta. It has a a wide variety of restaurants serving seafood and local dishes, bars and other attractions for fun and relaxation. :Recreational aquatic sports such as surfing, diving, sailing, body-boarding, and fishing are enjoyed here as well. The beach is in the vicinity numerous hotels, retail stores, supermarkets, and banking facilities and automatic teller machines.
- Barbasquillo, is a resort complex on Barbasquillo beach with a pool, sauna, gym and a disco. It has direct access to the an extensive beach. Horses are also available for riding on the beautiful beach.
- La Tiñosa, is three kilometers long with sand dunes along with cactus ten feet(three meters) high, as well as varied wildlife species. This area is used for tourists rest and recreation. This beach is located a few kilometers from the parish San Mateo, and it is surrounded by mountains with a dry vegetation.
- Linguique, is located 50 minutes from the center of Manta, at a distance of ten miles(18 kilometers). It has interesting rocky areas; place where snails, octopus and lobsters are plentiful. From the high point, it offers the visitors the possibility to observe the sea in all directions in a beautiful panoramic view. The people in this area are devoted to fishing and agriculture.
- San Lorenzo, is located 22 miles west(28 kilometers) from Manta. It is known for its diverse rock formations, caves, marine birds and the Island of The Silver. The months of June to September you can take in the incredible sight of hunchback whales as they pass from the north to south. San Lorenzo's forest, with an extension of 50 hectares, was declared a protected area to avoid its deterioration as an ecological area. Popular activities include surfing, sunbathing and whale-watching. The climb to the light house is amazing and often accompanied by views of blue-footed boobies.
- Santa Marianita, is in a rural area about 10 miles west of Manta. The perfect area for the capture of marine species. This beach of approximately 5 miles long inviting the visitors to enjoy the warm waters enjoying the tranquility of this area. Telephone services are available here.
- San Mateo, is a thriving fishing village located on a cliff overlooking the sea 9 miles west of Manta. The locals are very friendly, and a bit tipsy after a good catch. San Mateo is also known among surfers as the longest wave in Ecuador. The competition is stiff out on the water; the locals can be territorial.
- Tarqui, is a Park of the Shellfish where delicious local foods are prepared for your enjoyment. On this beach you can participate in recreational aquatic sports such as surfing, diving, sailing, body-boarding, and fishing, along with other outdoor sports such as beach soccer; and volleyball. It is located on the coastal highway midway between the airport and Manta. It can be identified by the large wooden fishing boats in various stages of construction. With the boat construction at this location, it has been nicknamed 'Noah's Ark Beach' by some tourists.
Manta has an amazing selection of fresh seafood. You can find fish, shrimp, octopus, calamari, clams, mussels, prawns, lobsters, crabs and scallops that are especially fresh and cheap. Ceviche and viche de pescado are traditional tropical dishes in Manta. Fresh coconut juice is always available on the beach, and other delicious fresh fruit juices and smoothies are available on the malecon.
- Club Ejecutivo, Av. 2 and Calle 12 (Banco del Pichincha building).
- El Mediterraneo, Malecon. Spanish.
- Guen Roku, Malecón and Calle 16.. International
- Martinica, via San Mateo. Italian/Ecuadorian typical. Really great food!
- El Resero, Malecón oposite Hotel Oro Verde.. Argentinian food, cheap and great service
- Mima, Calle 104 and Malecón.. Seafood
- Palmeiras, Circunvalacion Norte. Seafood.
- Restaurante Mexicano, Malecón and Calle 15.. Mexican
- Paraná, Calle 17 and Malecón (close to the port).. Seafood
- Restaurant Riviera, Calle 20 and Av. 12. Italian.
- Shamu, Calle 11 No 1-12.. Set meals
For the more experienced traveler there are many good restaurants along the beach (see above) which are a bit cheaper. Most food is well-prepared and safe for tourists to eat.
The city water supply is contaminated with mercury and other contaminants. Drink bottled water only and do not use ice in drinks either.
Iced coconut water (agua'e coco) is very popular due to the hot temperatures. Freshly extracted from the coconuts in front of you, and it tastes really good.
- Club Premimum Beer.
- Pilsner Beer.
- Pilsner Light.
Manta offers many places to have a great time, many of them in the main street called "Flavio Reyes."
- Black Daddy One of the famous clubs in Manta, offers good drinks and good music.
- West End The best place to party. It's a karaoke-bar with the newest songs available to sing and dance that turns into a dance club late at night.
- Conga The cheapest club in Manta. It offers Latin music such as reggaeton, merengue and salsa as well as electronic music.
- Krug If you want to have a good time in a bar, Krug is the place. Krug is an outdoor bar with a lively scene.
Manta has Paseo Shopping Mall on Avenida 4 de Noviembre. It is a a western styled modern shopping mall including clothing shops, a supermarket, banks and automatic teller machines, movie theater, and food court.
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Manta on Wikivoyage.