2 hotels in this place
Valledupar is the capital of the department of Cesar in Colombia and the birthplace of Vallenato music.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Valledupar
- Plaza Alfonso Lopez.
- Indian village of Nabucimake (Get a shared taxi to Pueblo Bello (10,000 COP) and then another one to nabusimake (15,000)).
Known as the “forest city”, Valledupar is considered the greenest city in Colombia. As the birthplace of Vallenato music, the city is representative of a unique part of the Colombian culture. The city has around 350,000 inhabitants and enjoys year round sunshine. The average temperature is 30 degrees Celsius and the driest months are from December to February.
- From the north (Cuatro Vias), a collectivo to Valledupar costs 20,000 COP and will drop you at the location of your choice in town.
- From Bogota, 16hr bus ride with costs ranging from 90,000 COP to 115,000 COP depending on the season.
From the bus terminal: Valledupar has different land entrances, and it's crossed by national highway route from south to north. The easiest way is to take a taxi which will cost around $4500. Ask the taxi driver to let you of in the “Centro”, one block away from the "Plaza Alfonso Lopez".
By plane It is possible to get to Valledupar by plane to the airport Alfonso López. Only two airlines cover this route: Avianca and LAN. You are advised to book and reconfirm in high season. A taxi ride from the airport to the Centro will cost around $7000.
- Go for a swim in the river, though be aware that it gets packed on weekends and holidays.
- Festival de la leyenda Vallenata. Competition of vallenato band taking place in the last week of April. Expect a big crowd.
- Witness interesting traditions and culture of the Arhuaca people here or in their secluded town of Nabusimake.
- Enjoy traditional and Spanish colonial architecture. The square, “Alfonso López Pumarejo,” and the traditional and colonial part of Downtown Valledupar still preserve Spanish colonial architecture.
- Swim and dive in the cool, clean Guatapurí and Badillo rivers
- Los Besotes ecopark : bird watch and hike in the verdant park.
- For indigenous crafts, visit the nearby historic village of La Mina.
- The square, “Alfonso López Pumarejo”.
- The traditional and colonial part of the centre.
- Swimming facilities “Hurtado” at the river Guatapurí.
- The park “Lineal” and the “Village Vallenato”.
- Natural swimming facilities “La Mina”.
- The “Badillo” river.
- The eco park “Los Besotes” and the reserve “Vida Silvestre”.
- The eco park “Paraver”, known for it`s protections of the flora and fauna.
- Visits to all the monuments and parks as: “Los Poporos”, “María Mulata”, ”Los Gallos”, “El Folclor Vallenato”, ”Mi Pedazo de Acordeón”, and “Revolución en Marcha”.
- The “stage” Compai Chipuco.
- The Vallenato music groups and the Vallenato parties.
- Fruit trees you´ll find in the city; mango, cañahuate, ceibas, robles, totumos, acacias, mamones, cotoprix, uvitos, cardamomos e innumerables cauchos.
- The important indigenous population in the area such as Nabusimake.
- Villages like La Paz, Patillal, Manaure Cesar, Pueblo Bello, Nabusimake
- The savannah area of the Cesar department and visits to the mountain area of the “Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta”.
- The “Coliseo Gallístico”.
Discothèques • La Licorera: Carrera 9 # 9 - 36 • Plaza Mayor: Carrera 6 #15-70, Plaza Alfonso López • La iguana: Carrera 9 #10-44 • Kankurua: Calle 16a # 7 - 61
Coffee Shops • Café Plaza Mayor: Good location and nice bar. Three music ambiances. (Carrera 6 #15-70, Plaza Alfonso López) • Juan Valdez: Guatapurí Plaza (Av. Hurtado Diag. 10 No. 6N-15)
Restaurants • Restaurants - Valledupar hosts a massive variety of places to eat. • Compae chipuco: Carrera 6ta con calle 16. Ask for "el almuerzo" at lunch and "menu del dia" it´s the cheap option. • Antore Pizza: Calle 12 Nro 17-46 Tel: (5) 573-3030 • La Razón: Typical food. Carrera 6 Nro 11-03 Tel: (5) 584-6051 • Jerusalem: Carrera 9 Nro 7c-29
Supermarkets • The Exito supermarket, located two blocks away from the hostel, is a huge superstore offering everything from clothes to electrical articles to fresh fruit and veg. • The Carrefour supermarket, located in C.C. Guatapuri Plaza, is another huge superstore offering everything from clothes to electrical articles to fresh fruit and veg. • Olympica supermarket (calle 14 con Carrera 9.) • Mi Futuro supermarket: located four blocks away from the hostel, is a local supermarket, good prices. • Market - There's a local market selling fresh produce, Plaza de Mercado ¨La Galeria¨
Shopping Centers Guatapurí Plaza (Av. Hurtado Diagonal 10 No. 6N-15) Orbe Plaza (Carrera 9 con calle 12, esquina)
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Valledupar on Wikivoyage.