9 hotels in this place
Antofagasta is a city in Northern Chile. The Atacama desert rises in the east and the Pacfic Ocean provides a western limit. This is an industrial centre in the region and is perhaps the least pleasant city in the north. Current works (2008) to refurbish the seafront will probably render this city increasingly attractive, also for tourists. Travellers heading to San Pedro de Atacama and between far north and central Chile might find it a convenient stopover. Sernatur, Paseo Prat 384, just off Plaza Colon. Helpful tourist information with maps on the city and the region. (less...) (more...)
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Antofagasta
- La Portada, a natural rock arch formation between Antofagasta and Mejillones.
- Ruinas de Huanchaca, the vestiges of an old iron foundry.
- La Mano del Desierto, an sculpture of giant hand rising from the sand. Located 75 km to the south of the city.
- Sea lions, pelicans and smaller birds getting fed on fish waste in the fishermen´s harbour.
- The sunset from the seafront walk to the south.
A nice sunny weather, make going to the multiple artificial beaches along the coast an enjoyable activity for any season.
Beaches at the area are:
- Balneario Municipal
- Cinemas in the two large seafront malls.
- Walk the pedestrian mall that links the two main squares, Plaza Sotomayor with its market, and Plaza Colon with its Big Ben replica.
- Georgio pizza, 14 de febrero 2403 (in the corner with Calle Boliviar), +56 (0)55 789157. Great pizzas in an unpretentious and pleasant atmosphere. Take away available. Pizza and drinks for two is Ch$7000. No beer.
- More than a dozen tiny restaurants at the Mercado, Plaza Sotomayor. All offer set lunches at $1500. Number 67 is good.
- The bars in the center are either strip clubs or purely male workers´ hang-outs (the girls you see are at work).
- The pedestrian Paseo Arturo Prat has a couple of pavement cafes, that are good for people watching.
- A few decent spots along Av. O´Higgins (a.k.a. Av. Brasil), and also the seafront parallel to it.
- The otherwise standard hellish food court of the Mall Plaza has a neat outside area with a couple of bars and restaurants.
- Wally´s Pub, Antonio Toro 982 (By the South end of O´Higgins). A genuine ex-pats hang-out, neatly laid out, with a full restaurant menu. Warm and friendly with a great atmosphere. Small beer $2000, main course $9000.
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Antofagasta on Wikivoyage.