18 hotels in this place
Picton is a small town at the top of the South Island of New Zealand that has more visitor facilities than might be expected because it's the South Island start of State Highway 1 (SH1) when the Cook Strait inter-island ferries dock. For many, it's the gateway to Marlborough and Nelson Bays. It also serves as a convenient hub for exploring the beautiful Marlborough Sounds. Nearby activities include sailing, SCUBA diving to the wreck of the Soviet passenger cruise ship Mikhail Lermontov, fishing, biking and hiking. (less...) (more...)
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Picton
- The Marlborough Sounds
- The Edwin Fox, Picton Foreshore (100 m from the Rail Ferry Terminal), ☎ +64 3 573-6868, e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 09:00–17:00. Built in 1853, the Edwin Fox is the 9th oldest ship in the world and is in the process of being restored. Adult $8, Child $2.50.
- Picton Community Museum, London Quay, ☎ +64 3 573-8283. Daily 10:00-16:00. adults $3, children 50c.
- The Waterfront
- Picton i-SITE (The tourist information centre), The Foreshore (The western end of the foreshore on State Highway 1 opposite the train station, south of the Interlsland terminal), ☎ +64 3 520-3113, fax: +64 3 573-5021, e-mail: picton@i-SITE.org.
- Walk to the Snout. Between Picton and Waikawa Bay is a peninsula covered in a mixture of native and exotic bush. Tracks range from a few minutes to 3.5h. Cross the bridge at the eastern end of the Picton foreshore. The tracks begin at the foot of the hill. The Marlborough District Council produces a map available from the tourist information centre Free.*
- Drive to Karaka Point (7km and 15min from town; take first Waikawa Rd and then Beach Rd). 24hrs. Waikawa Bay is a suburb of Picton where the majority of the region's private yachts and power boats are moored. A 10min walk begins at the car park and passes the site of a Maori pa (fortified village) before a lookout and stony beach.
- Marlborough Sounds Adventure Company, London Quay, ☎ +64 3 573-6078, toll-free: 0800 283 283 or from Australia: 1800 007 083, fax: 03 573 8827, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 2007 New Zealand Tourism Award Winner. Mountain biking, kayaking, walking the Queen Charlotte Walkway. Tours or freedom hire. Great team, professional service.
- Picton Model Engineers (Model Railroad), Foreshore, ☎ +64 3 573 8122, fax: +64 3 573-7660. every Sunday, every day of school holidays & every public holiday, 10:00-15:00 (weather permitting). Elevated track: 21.5, 31.5 and 5 in gauges, boat pond Train Rides 20c, Model Yacht hire 20c.
- Picton Golf Club, SH1 Koromiko, ☎ +64 3 573-7750, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Kiwi Mini Golf, Foreshore, ☎ +64 3 573-7136.
- Le Café, 12-14 London Quay, ☎ +64 3 573 5588, fax: 03 573 5588, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Great food breakfast, lunch or dinner. Large selection of local wines are beers, often organic food and sometimes a live music scene in the evenings.
- Gusto, 33 High Street, ☎ +64 3 573 7171. Small funky cafe. Good coffee.
- Seumus's Irish Bar, 25 Wellington St, ☎ +64 3 573-8994, fax: +64 3 573-8544, e-mail: email@example.com. Run by a man from Co. Derry in Ireland and has one of the best pints of Guinness in the southern hemisphere.
- Cafe Cortado, Cnr of High St & London Quay (From the ferry terminal take the first road on the left and it is opposite the War Memorial), ☎ +64 3 573-5630. 08:00-late. Great place to eat Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner
- Oriel Gallery, 35 High St, ☎ +64 3 573-5353, fax: +64 3 573-5357, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:00–17:00. Paintings, sculpture, jewellery, ceramics, photography and textiles by artists from Marlborough and throughout New Zealand. Small gifts for travellers posted anywhere.
- The Gallery (At Evolve), 20 High St, ☎ +64 3 573-7908. Daily 09:30–17:30. Boutique Art Gallery dealing in New Zealand Art, Art Jewellery, NZ Art Gifts and Photography from Marlborough and New Zealand.
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Picton (New Zealand) on Wikivoyage.