2 hotels in this place
For the island in Costa Rica, see Cocos Island National Park. The Cocos (Keeling) Islands is in the middle of the Indian Ocean some 2,750km north-west of Perth, and 900km west south-west of Christmas Island.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
About Cocos Islands
Cocos experiences two main seasons which tend to overlap: the trade wind season from April / May to September / October and the calmer doldrum season from November through to April. Expect higher rainfall during March through to July. January through to August may also generate the occasional low pressure system (usually between February and April). However these systems do not normally interfere with holiday plans. Rain usually falls in the evenings, bringing glorious sunny days! The average annual rainfall is 2,000mm! Temperatures are fairly consistent no matter what the season, remaining around a comfortable 29°C with a minimum evening temperature rarely dropping below 20°C.
- Cocos Islands Golf Club. Thursdays. Play the most westerly golf course in Australia that also includes an international runway! Locals and visitors meet every Thursday afternoon for a friendly game of "Scroungers" (Ambrose). Be at the Donga (next to the West Island Supermarket) at 15.30. All adults are more than welcome, club hire is available and a full bar. You won't play this kind of golf anywhere else in the world, not to be missed!
There are two restaurants on Cocos. The Tropika Restaurant is on West Island, whilst Bunga Melati is on Home Island.
Malay cuisine is a selection of rice, noodles, curry and chilli, featuring chicken, beef, lamb and seafood dishes. Food is prepared to be flavoursome and not particularly hot, unless requested. The Tropika caters to western style meals with a selection of meats, vegetables and salads available from the bistro. In both restaurants, meals are reasonably priced and rarely exceed $20.00 per person.
- Tropika (Located on West Island in the Cocos Beach Motel), ☎ +61 8 9162 6672.
- Bunga Melati (Located on Home Island in the small business centre), ☎ +61 8 9162 7633. The restaurant will open for lunch or dinner on request.
Don't want to eat at a restaurant? Usually, every third Friday, the different social clubs of Cocos prepare a "food night" at the Cocos Club. Excellently priced meals are offered along with raffles and good natured fun. Come along, share a meal. The Cocos Club also offers visitors a great venue to get to know the locals and join in with any activity that is happening.
- Supermarket, Clunies-Ross Avenue, ☎ +61 8 9162 6676, fax: +61 8 9162 7605.
- Community Resource Centre (Administration building), ☎ +61 8 9162 7707. Open 7 days a week. The Cocos Islands Community Resource Centre provides internet access and printing facilities. Mobile phones are available for hire and wireless vouchers for your laptops. Come in for a coffee and check your emails, get some information, grab a tide chart or take home a classic Cocos Calendar.
Open Mon - Fri (8am - 3pm) Sat (10am - 3pm) Sun (9am - 12pm)
- Australia Post, ☎ +61 8 9162 6645, fax: +61 8 9162 7500.
- Cocos Club, ☎ +61 8 9162 6688. Open 7 days a week.
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Cocos (Keeling) Islands on Wikivoyage.
Points of Interest in Cocos Islands
Take cultural tours with some of the local tour operators or guide yourself around the islands to explore why they call the Cocos Islands a "nature and water lover's paradise".
During the year, as well as the traditional events such as Easter, New Year, Christmas etc., Cocos hosts a number of unique events. These include the annual Lagoon swim, where competitors swim from Home Island across the lagoon to West Island. Individuals or teams may enter and whether you are a serious contender or wish to join in with the Hash House Harriers (who always seem to get themselves disqualified for one thing or another), everyone has a load of fun. It finishes in the evening with dinner and presentations to the winners and boat drivers.
Other unique events are the mid-year Cocos Ball, quiz nights, Music & Wine festival, Ardmona Cup and Cocos Olympics. All visitors are encouraged to join in with these festivities and activities. Exact dates vary from year to year. Please check with the Cocos (Keeling) Islands Tourism Association before booking for particular events.
Don't forget visitors to the Island are also welcome to participate in the School Fete, Sports Carnival and concert events.
- Cocos Diving, Cocos Dive, PO Box 1015, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Indian Ocean WA 6799,Australia, ☎ +61 8 9162 6515, e-mail: email@example.com. $200-2320.
- 2nd Wind Sailboards. July through to September only. Watersport holidays. Windsurfing, SUP'ing, kiting.
- Pulu Keeling National Park, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kite Beach - West Island
Pulu Keeling National Park - North Keeeling Island
Trannies Beach - West Island