10 hotels in this place
Porto Santo is the northernmost and easternmost island in Portugal's Madeira archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean. The only significant settlement on the island is the town of "Vila Baleira". The island is about 9km long, and the main industry is tourism. Porto Santo is an ultra-peripheral region of the European Union.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Porto Santo
- Christopher Columbus' house, now a museum. Exhibits about the Portuguese discoveries, Columbus, and his stay on the island are featured. The collections in this museum include maps, navigation tools, portraits and other art displays. Columbus married on the island and lived there for some time.
- Matriz Church (Largo do Pelourinho) - Built in 1430 and pillaged in 1556 by French buccaneers. Situated in the heart of Vila Baleira, in this church beautiful paintings of Martin Conrad and Max Romer are displayed, which attract the attention of passing visitors.
- "Pico Castelo" viewpoint (437m) - This 437m-high viewpoint has a magnificent view over Vila Baleira and the rest of the Island of Porto Santo, as well as some nearby small islands.
- Paços do Concelho (Largo do Pelourinho) - Also known as Town Hall, it is in the city centre. It was built in the sixteenth century, and ever since it has been used as a jail and as a palace.
Popular events in Porto Santo in the near future
About Porto Santo
- Porto Santo's beaches - With 9 km of beach, these are the best beaches in the archipelago. They are also known for their alleged healing properties, relieving the pain of rheumatism and helping to accelerate the recovery of bone fractures.
- The "Nossa Senhora da Graça" Feast - The main feast of the island. The feast is composed by a mass, followed by a procession and an "arraial", a traditional party.
- Porto Santo Golf Course. Has two 18-hole golf courses and one nine-hole course. It is promoted by Severiano Ballesteros, the Spanish golfing champion.
- Restaurante Baiana (Rua Doutor Nunes Silvestre Vieira Teixeira), ☎ (+351) 291 984 649.
- Restaurante Gazela, ☎ (+351) 291 984 425.
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Porto Santo on Wikivoyage.