13 hotels in this place
Poros is a green island situated in the Saronic Gulf, 32 sea miles from the Piraeus harbour of Athens. Has an area of 33km², a shoreline of 42km and a population of about 3,650. In ancient times it was considered the island of Poseidon, god of the sea. This is evident from various literary references and from the traces of the temple of Poseidon, which are to be found in the middle of the island. The word “Poros” in ancient Greek means a small sea passage. Nothing could describe better the island of Poros, since the closest distance between the island and Galatas in the coast of the Peloponnese is 200m. Poros is divided in two island, Kalavria is the bigger part of Poros island and the small one called Sfairia where today is located the town of Poros. Lush pine trees vegetation, crystal clear beaches, a lively waterfront adorned with shops, cosy cafes and restaurants, a picturesque capital (it has been declared protected settlement) with grand traditional mansions and picturesque cobbled streets, as well as a wide selection of entertainment venues are the ingredients of this quiet, yet cosmopolitan, destination that attracts visitors from all age groups. As you approach the island of Poros by boat, the historical clock prevails on the hill’s highest peak smothered by prickly pear and pine trees. From here, the view of the port and the coastal areas across is magnificent. Constructed in 1927, it was clearly visible from all angles and is characterized as the main attraction of the city. (less...) (more...)
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Poros Town
- Clock Tower. This clock tower was built in 1927 and is an imposing feature. It is definitely a bit of a climb from the waterfront being the highest point of the island, but when you reach it, the view from there is breathtaking and worth the effort. The clock tower also attracts a number of photographers for the view it offers, the coming together of land, water and sky. Though the Tower has very simple appearance when you watch it closer after 10 minutes going upstairs it really worth visiting because the view from here is wonderful.
- The Archaeological Museum, Korizis Square. Tu-Su 09:00-15:00. Houses findings from the Sanctuary of Poseidon, from ancient Troizen, Magoula, Apathia, Modi and Saint Constantine from Methana are displayed here.
- Poros Shell Museum. Daily09:00-13:00 & 18:00-21:00. Poros Shell Museum. Founded in 2006, a permanent exhibition of Shells from the Greek Seas is displayed at the Chatzopouleios Library. The Municipal Library is definitely worth a visit, with more than 8,500 titles of books and more than 200 DVDs
- Sanctuary of Poseidon. In the northern part of the island are the remains of the Sanctuary of Poseidon, the centre of the Kalaureian amphictyony. The exact date it was built is not known, although researchers estimate it to have been around 520 BC. The dimensions of the temple, which is of the Doric order, are 27.4×14.4m. There are six columns on each short side and twelve on each long side. It was here that Demosthenes, the famous orator, poisoned himself with hemlock in 322 BC fleeing from the Macedonian Governor Antipatros.
- The Holy Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi. The Holy Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi, founded in 1720 a.d is located 4km east of the main city of Poros island is built on the slope of a pine forest. In 1814, a group of monks from Mount Athos, took refuge in this Monastery. A few years later, these monks founded the Zoodochos Pigi Monastery at Longovarda in this island of Paros. Katholiko, is a basilica with a dome and a tower like belfry being the main church of the monastery. The temple is simple without many wall paintings. The precious wooden-curved icon, which was made in Kappadokia of Asia Minor in the 17th C, together with the wooden-curved iconostasis and the imposing bishop throne, are of great interest.
- Bourtzi castle. Bourtzi castle. It was built by von Heideck at around 1828, at the place where an old church of St. Constantine had stood. The island was given to the Poros monastery from 1770 on by Antonios Serfos. The stand off between Hydra island and Capodistrias gave the cause for severe fight here on 1831.
- Russian Naval Base. The ruins are found 5 kilometers to the north In 1834, warehouses and bakeries were set up there to refuel and replenish the Russian fleet with supplies while they were sailing in the Aegean Sea. The Russians kept the property until 1900. Since 1989, by decree, the Russian Naval Base was declared a historical landmark, because of its great architectural and historical interest.
- Open air movie theater "Diana". One of the very few occasions to enjoy watching a film on the open air as in the past
- Naval Base. Poros was the site of the first naval base in modern Greece, established in 1827 during the Greek War of Independence. Most of the activities of Poros naval base were moved to Salamis Naval Base in 1881. The site is still used today by the Hellenic Navy as a training centre for naval personnel. There in 1834 warehouses and bakeries were built for the supply of the Russian fleet sailing in the Aegean. The Russians kept this property until the 1900s. since 1989, with a Ministerial decision, the Russian Dockyard has been announced as a historical monument due to its great architectural and historical interest.
- Ancient Trizina. The ancient Trizina is known as the homeland of Thiseas and it is one of the most interesting places near Poros. All the archaeological finds from ancient Trizina are located in the Archaeological Museum. Continuing your way, a distance of about 3 kilometer from Trizina there is a place called "Vasiliki Tafi" (The Royal cemetery). This area has great interest because of the archaeological finds of the Mycenaean period.
- Lemonodasos (Lemon grove). Take the opportunity to stroll around the verdant hill with more than 30,000 lemon and orange trees,with scattered taverns all around, located on the opposite coast near Galatas in the Peloponnese. From the top, the view is panoramic. The boat trip will only take a few minutes. It has been declared a protected area by the European Union.
Popular events in Poros Town in the near future
About Poros Town
Poros is the isle of serenity and relaxation, where one can enjoy taking romantic strolls.
It's full of pine trees which reach the shores and the sandy beaches The residents of Poros are no different from other Greek islanders in spontaneity, dignity and hospitality. The large homes on the beach have a neoclassical style in contrast to the common duplex houses in Brinia, Milo, Pounta and Kasteli. The first dwellings were built in 1463 and located around the famous Clock.
In the centre of the city you can find the Town Hall, the archaeological museum, a public library along with a reception hall for exhibitions and other cultural events.
Many taverns are sparsely located among the picturesque alleyways and the whitewashed houses of Poros which are surrounded by bougainvillea . Visitors can enjoy souvenir shops, cafeterias, taverns and clubs playing Greek and English music all along the pier.
Along the coast going towards the training centre, we come across the open air movie theatre "Diana" which has premiers of the best films shown this past winter. Right next to it is the exhibition hall of Poros that constantly has exhibitions.
Bus and taxi terminals are located in the centre of the beach area. Access to boats that go along the shores of Galata is also available there. Public transportation around the island runs pretty smoothly all day. Buses leave every hour while boats depart every ten minutes. On the beach you can find scooter and bike rentals whereas cars are rented right across the island, in Galata.
Leaving the centre, you will see the Pregymnasium in the northwest which happens to be Othona's first residence. Today, this area is used for sailors' training and ranking. After passing the field you will come across a small canal separating Sferia from Kalavria.
After crossing the canal you will encounter Sinikismos, the first community of Asia Minor refugees. Towards the end of Sinikismos, if you follow the spiral road surrounded by enormous pine trees, you will end up in the church of Our Lady Agia Zoni where festivities take place on 2 July. It's located between a steep cliff with lots of trees and running water where the Temple of Poseidon is also found.
On your way back to the canal's bridge, towards the left and west, you will see an area called Perlia. The road continues along the coast, passes through Villa Galini and Mikro Neorio and, eventually, reaches Megalo Neorio. Further down is the Love cove, the Russian dockyard along with the islet called Daskalio.
On the right hand side of the canal's road you will pass through Kanali. Heading east leads you to Askeli. As you continue, the road branches out towards the monastery of Zoodohos Pygi, going north you will reach the temple of Poseidon, Vagionia and passing by Agio Stathi and Profiti Elia it goes back through Sinikismo to the canal.
- Love's Bay Beach. The Love's Bay is a very romantic cove where one can enjoy the green and turquoise water swimming under the lush pine trees! Once again, we have an organized beach with deck chairs, umbrellas, tables and a canteen where you can eat a snack, drink your coffee, cool down having an ice cream or soft drinks, ouzo, wine and beer.
- The Russian Bay Beach. The Russian Bay a beautiful and picturesque bay, which is classified as a historical monument, because of its great architectural and historical interest. On the opposite side is Daskalio, a small island with its lovely church. Then there is the Gerolimenas a secluded pebble beach, which is across the islet of Petra.
- Neorio Beach. Neorio is an ideal destination for a relaxing family vacation and is located opposite the Peloponnese, in the bay of Poros. You can enjoy impeccable moonlit nights by the beach and lovely taverns situated right on the water. Pine trees embrace the sea water and “paint” it with an unusual green colour. With golden sand and transparent waters that often create the illusion of a huge mirror. The beach also has "Passage", a centre for water sports.
- Kanali Beach. Located after the bridge that connects the Pregymnasium with Sinikismo and has the advantage of going there on foot. It’s just 15 minutes away from downtown with a divine sandy beach in the heart of the bay of Askeli.
- Askeli Beach. After the Canal, the coastal road continues and leads to Askeli, located a few kilometres northeast of the port. skeli faces the open sea and is built amphitheatrically on the slope of a pine covered hill with a panoramic view from above. There are four snake-shaped streets on the road starting from the beach road and branching out across Askeli, reaching the top of the hill.
- Monastery Beach. is located on a hill in the east coast. Right under it is a quiet beach with crystal clear water, next to a pine forest. The area offers water sports and snorkeling. Also available in the area are sunbeds, umbrellas and a canteen where you can have a snack, ice cream or drink your coffee, soft drinks, spirits, wine and beer.
- Vagionia Beach. Vagionia is a quiet beach with sand and pebbles situated in the northern part of the island, ideal for relaxing holidays and all kinds of fishing, especially snorkeling. There, you can find beach chairs, umbrellas and a cafe snack bar, where you can grab a snack, drink your coffee, have an ice cream, soft drinks, ouzo, wine and beer.
- Aliki Beach. Aliki is a gorgeous beach with sand inside and out which winds up in a lagoon. It has shallow water and Bourtzi is right across where anyone can swim to. Located at the entrance of Poros’ waterway, as we come in the from Hydra on the flying dolphin.
- Passage (In Drepani. Continent), Neorion Bay, 18020 Poros, ☎ +30 2298042540, fax: +30 2298042546, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Passage water ski centre is managed by Sotiris Kyprios, former European Slalom Senior 1 Champion and his wife Marianna. The school teaches people to ski from complete beginners to advanced slalom skiers.
- Passage (In Poros island), Poros, ☎ +30 2298042540, fax: +30 2298042546, e-mail: email@example.com. The base on Poros is very well maintained and fully operational. The base consists of the "bar area", a large pontoon with four waterski towboats and one special wakeboard boat. Several water sports can be practiced such as: water ski, jet-ski, barefoot, jump, trick skiing, wake boarding, banana and tubes.
- Diavologefiro. Walking towards northwestern in an abrupt area near Poros we find thisi famous wild beautiful natural environment. Here the river flows furiously through a deep canyon.
- Scuba diving school in Poros, Askeli beach, ☎ 697 7261 374, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dontas Horses & Tours, ☎ +30 6970052845, e-mail: email@example.com. Enjoying great beaches with horse riding.
- Poseidon Tavern, ☎ +30 22 9802-3597. You will enjoy your food in a friendly environment with an amazing sea view either at lunch or dine. Dishes are cooked with care, fresh material and knowledge- You will taste food from the traditional greek cuisine, a large variety of appetizers, fresh fish and desserts. Specialty on fresh octopus.
- Primasera, ☎ +30 22 9802-3080. The tavern is a combination of classic and modern with the nostalgia of the traditional cuisine and the personal touch of the owner. It is one of the oldest and best taverns of the island, where all the famous people on the island go to eat together.
- Oasis Restaurant, Tavern, ☎ +30 22 9802-2955, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. During its operation the tavern was the tourist "attraction" of the island and its food is synonymous with quality, having gained many loyal regulars who still keep in touch with the owners of the tavern. In our tavern you can choose from a wide variety of appetizers and snacks, wonderful salads, traditional Greek dishes, stews, various roasts and meat on the grill, lobster with spaghetti, spaghetti with shrimps, mussel pilaf, fresh fish and all kinds of seafood from the local fishermen of the island, which you can accompany by chilled wine, ouzo or raki.
- Garden Restaurant (Close to St George Church), ☎ +30 7974000773. Inside the cool environment of the "Garden", which is literally full of bougainvilleas and jasmines, you will have the experience of tasting delicious appetizers from home made and local spicy recipes, the freshest fish and meat on bbq and some of the most delicious vegetarian dishes.
- Platanos Tavern, ☎ +30 695 847 6089. At "Platanos" the visitor can relax and enjoy the delicious food along with beer or cold wine, down from the shades of the 200 years old platanus that exist there, at the Square of Saint George, next to the old little church.
- Dimitris Family Tavern, ☎ +30 2298023709. The best taverna may be Dimitris' the Butcher Shop Taverna, on the top of the town of Poros. His speciality is the finest fresh steaks and other beef, lamb, pork and chicken dishes because as the name suggests, he is a butcher. He has eight children, many who work in the restaurant and the pepper-steak is delicious. When you first sit down you are welcomed with a glass of sweet, rich dark wine that for some reason tastes perfect, even if you can't stand sweet, rich dark wines. He also has select fish and seafood and some of the more interesting clientèle.
- Malibu. Reaching Poros island you do not have to think a second time where you will go to have amazing fun, enjoying your favourite drink or cocktail. The bar "Malibu" is open from the time the sun sets until the early morning and awaits you to have fantastic time with parties, events and many other activities. You can elevate your mood either by drinking outside and watching the sea view, either dancing inside the main part of the building, with music from their experienced DJ in all the newest beats.
- Sofrano, ☎ +302298025333. Relaxing terrace at Poros sea front
- Skipper, ☎ +30 2298026680. Relaxing terrace at Poros sea front. You can also dine
- Kostelenos Nurseries (George Kostelenos (Owner)), Hellas, ☎ +30 2298035418, e-mail: email@example.com. This Incubators produce the most extend varieties of Olive trees in the world. Get an appointment and pop up. You will not regret the visit even if you are not professional gardener.
- Ergani, Poros Town, ☎ +30 2298026030. A gallery with embroideries, handmade art objectsand a laboratory organizing various seminars.
- Citronne Gallery, Poros Town, ☎ +30 22980 22401. This is an art gallery hosting the work of different artists, mainly in the high season. It is housed in a beautiful mansion in Poros Town
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Poros on Wikivoyage.