2 hotels in this place
Dornbirn is the biggest city of Vorarlberg in Austria.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Dornbirn
- Church of St Martin (Stadtpfarrkirche St Martin), Marktplatz 1. The foundations date to the 13th century. The current structure was built in 1840 in the neoclassical style.
- Rolls-Royce Museum, Gütle 11a (take Stadtbus 5), ☎ +43 5572 52652, fax: +43 5572 52652-6, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr-Oct T-Su and holidays 10:00-18:00, Nov-Mar T-Su and holidays 10:00-17:00; closed 24-26 Dec, 1 Jan, 07-31 Jan. This museum is the most extensive of its kind in the world. Founded in 1999, it houses more than 1000 exhibits, including several dozen classic vehicles, in a space of about 3000m². The museum also organises special rides. €9 (adults), €4.50 (children 6-16), €10 (photography permit).
- Inatura Erlebnis Naturschau, Jahngasse 19 (Stadtbus 7 direction Hatler Kirche; or Stadtbus 1 direction Messepark, Steggasse exit), ☎ +43 5572 232 35-0. Daily 10:00-18:00; closed 25 Dec and 1 Jan. This historic factory has been modernised and now houses a science center, with interactive exhibits focusing on the natural sciences. Also has a gift shop, library, and restaurant. €9.50 (adults), €4.80 (children 6-15).
- Kunstraum Dornbirn, Jahngasse 9 (Montagehalle inatura), ☎ +43 5572 55 0 44, fax: +43 5572 55 0 44-4838, e-mail: email@example.com. Apr-Oct T-Su 10:00-18:00. Showcases art installations created by artists-in-residence. €3 (adults and seniors), €5 (families).
- Flatz Museum, Marktstrasse 33 (former Natural History Museum). F 15:00-17:00, Sa 11:00-17:00, and by appt. A small two-room museum exhibiting pieces by the provocative Dornbirn-born performance artist Wolfgang Flatz. €3.50 (adults), €2.50 (concessions), €1 (children 6-15).
- Dornbirn Tourismus & Stadtmarketing (Tourist Information), Rathausplatz 1a, ☎ +43 5572 22188, fax: +43 5572 31233, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 09:00-12:00. Can offer advice for accommodation, sightseeing, and restaurants.
During Advent a large Advent market is held in the market place and surrounding streets and squares. In the evenings the Glühwein stands stay open and the atmosphere gets quite merry and fun. Another great time of year is Fasching, the run up to Lent, when there are often parades and bands in the market place.
- Spielboden (Rhombergs factory), Färbergasse 15, Rohrbach (Stadtbus 4/5/6), ☎ +43 5572 21933, fax: +43 5572 21933-44, e-mail: email@example.com. For cultural events (art-house films, music, dance) the Spielboden is worth a visit. Tickets for events are sold at the tourist information office and all Raiffeisenbank branches, as well as online.
- Stadtbad (indoor swimming pool), Schillerstraße 18, ☎ +43 5572 22687. Pool: T 07:00-21:00, W-Sa 09:00-21:00, Su and holidays 09:00-18:00; ladies sauna: M 17:00-22:00, Th 14:00-22:00; mens' sauna: F 14:00-18:00; mixed sauna: Tu W 14:00-22:00, F 18:00-22:00. Worth a visit for the modern architecture alone. The facilities are brand new – there are 3 pools, 2 diving boards and a water flume as well as a sauna. 2 hrs: €5.90 (adults), €5 (concessions), €3 (children); 3 hrs: €7.50 (adults), €6.50 (concessions), €3.90 (children).
Most of the land comprising the Dornbirn district is mountainous. The well-developed trails offer numerous hiking opportunities, not only for short outings with children, but also for experienced mountain climbers with a head for heights. The tourist information has free hiking maps, and an interactive map is available online.
Go for a short hike and visit the Scouts' (Pfadfindergruppe) camp site. Offers great views over the Hatlerdorf district of Dornbirn.
For an interesting trek, take Stadtbus 5 to Rappenloch stop, and then head straight into the Rappenlochschlucht (30mins), one of the largest 'chines' (a type of gorge) in central Europe. Pass the Staufensee, continue to Alplochschlucht and then up to the Kirchle, a great natural halfcave, impressive to look at. Continuing toward Ebnit, you will see strange geologic formations on side. Two cheap restaurants or at least Reststations are on that track. Ebnit itself is a recreational area and is likewise an excellent starting point for trekking. A brochure with trail map (in English) can be downloaded here.
Karren. is one of the mountains which has good views of Vorarlberg. In good weather the 976m mountain offers views extending to the Swiss Alps as well as to the Überlingen part of Lake Constance. The mountain top can be accessed via public transportation (Stadtbus 5, then Minibus 47 to Ebnit), as well as by cable car (Seilbahn). The Panorama Restaurant is located at the top (see listing below). From this point a network of hiking trails can be accessed; a trail map (in German) can be downloaded here.
- Rotes Haus (Red House), Marktplatz 13, ☎ +43 5572 31555. Apr-Sep daily 11:30-24:00; Oct-Mar T-Su 11:30-14:00, 17:30-24:00. This wooden house dating from 1639 houses a well-regarded restaurant for traditional Austrian cuisine.
- Zeitgenuss 21 Cafe, Martktstrasse 21, ☎ +43 5572 386159, fax: +43 5572 394617, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 08:00-01:00, Su 14:00-22:00. This classy restaurant serves sushi. They also do a great selection of teas.
- Pizzeria Ristorante Paolo & Andrea, Riedgasse 20, ☎ +43 5572 386143. Daily 11:30-14:00, 17:00-24:00. Has great Italian Pizza. For take away every pizza and pasta dish is €6.
- Panoramarestaurant Karren, Karren, Bergstation (Stadtbus 5 to Karrenseilbahn), ☎ +43 5572 54711, fax: +43 5572 54711 4, e-mail: email@example.com. Breakfast buffet (reservation only) Sa Su and holidays 09:00-11:00; lunch M-F 11:30-16:00. Perches on the side of a mountain above town. They serve mainly good typically Austrian cuisine! You can see it from everywhere in the city. The view over the Rhine Valley and Lake Constance is stunning night and day and it's often sunny up there when it's foggy down below. They do a very good value cable car and meal combination ticket on weekday lunchtimes. €13+/person (including cable car ticket).
On those warm summer nights it's great to go to the Marktplatz, the centre of all activity with a number of cosy cafés and more lively venues. Especially Thursdays and Fridays can be recommended.
- Klappe 2, Marktstraße 2, ☎ +45 0664-4778781. M-F 17:00-02:00; Sa 10:00-14:00, 19:30-02:00; Su 19:30-24:00. A movie-themed cafe bar a little further up the street.
- Mr John's American Bar, Marktplatz 12 (in the Hirschenhaus opposite the church), ☎ +43 664 5335902, fax: +43 5572 35018, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. T-Su 18:00-02:00. An upstairs bar in the corner where you can smoke a water pipe if you so wish.
- 7er Bar, Eisengasse 7, ☎ +43 650 8422027, e-mail: email@example.com. S-Th 17:00-01:00, Fr Sa 17:00-02:00. This is the true alternative scene, with live rock music and other events. They even sell beer! It's often packed and is a great place to have a quick drink or spend the entire evening.
- Café-Bar Grüner Pavillon, Marktstraße 5 (close to Marktplatz), ☎ +43 5572 54600, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 17:00-, Sa 20:00. A good place for fans of alternative music.
- Conrad Sohm, Boden 1 (Stadtbus 7, about 10min from the main train station), ☎ +43 5572 35433, e-mail: email@example.com. An alternative music venue. Tickets to events can be purchased online here and here. On weekends there is a free shuttle bus which offers service from the main train station – Rathaus (Marktplatz) – Conrad Sohm and back (F Sa and holidays every 15min from 22:30 until closing; last bus leaves at 03:00).
- Innauer, Marktstraße 33, ☎ +43 5572 203488, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. T-Sa 17:00-01:00, kitchen 18:00-22:30, music 21:30-01:00. Has great drum'n'base and dance.
- Tivoli Kellerbar (Tivoli Winebar), Riedgasse 8, ☎ +43 5572 24172, e-mail: email@example.com. W-Su 19:00-01:00/2:00. A popular place to hang out.
Dornbirn has a lively city centre with a large pedestrian zone and many shops. If you can't find what you are looking for inside the city, there is also a large mall on the outskirts.
- Wochenmarkt (Farmers' Market), Marktplatz, ☎ +43 5572-306-7105. W Sa 08:00-12:00. There are stalls selling anything you could possibly desire; cheese and meat from small farms in the Bregenzerwald, socks, fresh bread, fruit and veg, organic beauty products, flowers... It's nice to spend a while wandering round it, and if you buy something you can be sure it's locally produced and therefore better for the regional economy. Everyone's a winner!
- Messepark (Shopping Mall), Messestraße 2 (Landbus lines 50/52 or Stadtbus lines 1/4/8), ☎ +43 5572 29380-0, fax: +43 5572 29380-14, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 09:00-19:30, F 09:00-21:00, Sa 08:30-18:00. A typical shopping mall with all the usual chain stores. Also has an Interspar grocery store (opens daily ½hr earlier).
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Dornbirn on Wikivoyage.