78 hotels in this place
Montego Bay, commonly referred to as MoBay, is the second largest city in the island nation Jamaica, a member of the British Commonwealth. Montego Bay is the capital of St. James Parish, one of the 14 parishes in Jamaica.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Montego Bay
- The Centerstage Theatre, Dominica Dr.
New Kingston, ☎ 876-968-7529. Small but cozy. Family-oriented musicals in patois.
About Montego Bay
Christopher Columbus sailed into the bay in 1494 and named it "el Golfo de Buen Tiempo" or Fair Weather Bay. The first record of a Spanish settlement here shows it as Monterias. The Spaniards hunted the herds of wild hogs that used to roam the hills and produced and exported 'hog butter' or lard. The name Montego derives from the Spanish "manteca" meaning lard, and Montego Bay is shown on some ancient maps as Lard Bay.
Due in part to its location on the island's north shore, Montego Bay has long since earned the title of 'tourist capital of Jamaica.' It receives the bulk of international flights, and is home to Sangster International Airport, the larger of Jamaica's two main international airports. It is a tourist destination known for its duty free shopping, cruise line terminal, and the sheltered Doctor's Cave beach with clear turquoise waters, which is one of the most famous beaches on the island.
- Cornwall Beach, ☎ 876 952-3463. 9AM-5PM. Snorkeling, swimming, and other fun beach activities. US$3.20/2 (Adults/Children).
- Doctor's Cave Beach, Gloucester Ave., ☎ 876 952-2566. 8:30AM-Sunset. The water is crystal clear and snorkeling is available. It can get a bit crowded during busy season, but its still a great place to go for the family. US$5/2.50 (Adults/Children under 12) - Extra for chairs and umbrellas.
- Dunn’s River Falls & Park, Ochos Rios, Jamaica, W.I., ☎ +1 876 974-2857. 8:30AM - 4PM. Dunn's River Falls & Park comes to mind which is in Ochos Rios that is about two hours from Montego Bay by taxi cab. There are four rivers combined into one unending flow of rapid descent that drains directly into the Caribbean Sea. Adventurous tourist can climb the falls by forming a human chain led by an experienced Dunn’s river falls guide. Adults US $15 Children (2-11 years old) US $12.
- John Halls Montego Bay Adventure Tour. Thorough and thrilling tour of Jamaica's beauty and culture. Adults: 75.00 Children:31.50.
- KiteBoarding Jamaica, Bounty Bay, Trelawny (only 20min from Montego Bay), ☎ 876-5832255. Jamaica's only Kite surfing center, great kite surfing on the Caribbean sea, suitable for all levels.
- Montego Bay Sea Trek Adventure, Doctor's Cave Beach. 1 hour. Underwater adventures on the ocean floor. US$60.
- Walter Fletcher Beach, ☎ 876 979-9447. M-Th 9AM-7PM, F-Su 9AM-10PM. Swimming, boat rides, and other beachtime fun. US$5/3 (Adults/Children).
- Chukka Caribbean Adventures.
- Dreamer Catamaran Cruises, Rapsody Tours, Charters & Cruise Limited, Gloucester Avenue, Montego Bay, Jamaica, ☎ (876) 979-0102, fax: (876) 979-0101, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10AM-1PM/3PM-6PM. The Dreamer Catamaran cruises are a great way to explore the Caribbean Ocean. On the Catamaran cruise, there is an opportunity for sight seeing, snorkeling, drinking, sun bathing. The staff is very friendly, helpful and patient, making sure new comers to snorkeling feel comfortable with their equipment and what to look for while exploring the sea. After snorkeling, alcohol is served on the catamaran, along with massages by the crewmemebers. The Dreamer Catamaran cruises are fun, safe, and a great experience. US $89.
All day, representatives from tour companies will stroll the beaches, offering parasailing, horseback riding, and a million other fun activities; if you're interested, keep your ears and eyes open for these guys, but remember to always play it safe and go with companies you recognize and trust. A lot can go wrong during these activities if the people in charge don't know what they're doing!
Most restaurants also serve drinks. Try a tropical drink or grab a cold Red Stripe in the signature brown bottle, then relax and take in the scenery!
- Pier One Seafood, Howard Cooke Boulevard, ☎ +1 876 952 2452. Open-air restaurant serving well-liked seafood and umbrella drinks with a great view of the bay.
- Evelyn's, Whitehouse (near Sandals Montego Bay), ☎ +1 876 952 3280. M-Sa 9AM-9PM, Su 10AM-6PM. Very reasonable prices, right on the beach, and the food is heavenly.
- Pork Pit, 27 Gloucester Ave., ☎ 876-952-3663. Right on the main strip in town, serving what some say is Jamaica's best jerk chicken and pork cooked over coals.
- Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville, Gloucester Ave. 11AM-?. 8. A tourist spot on the "hip strip" Gloucester Avenue, that is great for the whole family. Jamaica is known for their Jerk and Curry Chicken, which are both excellent here at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. They have entertainment, a hot tub, a 110 foot water slide that leads you into the ocean where there is also a water trampoline. Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville also has a gift shop, with a wide variety of souvenirs including t-shirts, shorts, hats, shot glasses, key chains, etc. This is a great place to get away from the resorts, it is located about 15 minutes from the resort areas and is always a great place to grab a bite to eat. Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville is always a great reminder of home, and always has a sense of “home” even in other countries.
- [http.//www.dayorestaurant.com/Day-O Plantation Restaurant], ☎ 876-952-1825. A favorite spot for romantic occasions, offering garden dining and Jamaican fusion cuisine.
- Belfield 1794. M-Sa 6:30-11PM.. Located in an old sugar mill and offering Jamaican favorites in an unusual setting. US$15-$20.
- Royal Stocks English Pub, Located in the gardens of The Half Moon Village Shopping Village (Montego Bay is just 5 miles (8Km) to the West, and The Rose Hall Beach Resort just 3 miles to the East), ☎ (876)953-9770/9771, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Montego Bay shopping center. You can find more reasonably priced souvenirs, and eat some real native Jamaican food. A traveler can find really great deals on gourmet coffee in which is produced right on the island, and Jamaican spices, art and scented body oils. You can get there by taxi or local shuttle.
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Montego Bay on Wikivoyage.