4 hotels in this place
Douz is a small town in south-central of Tunisia. Referred to as the "Gateway to the Sahara", Douz is a popular destination for tourists looking to experience the desert, either by camel or four-wheel drive.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Douz
- The annual International Festival of the Sahara. Held towards the end of each year, the four day festival showcases the local desert culture, including camel and horse riding displays, poetry readings and traditional music and dance.
- The Museum of the Sahara - a small but interesting collection portraying traditional Saharan life where the founder and curator, who's also a popular local poet, will courteously and patiently give you a fascinating tour of the collection. Open Tu-Su 9:30AM-4:30PM.
Popular events in Douz in the near future
The town of Douz has grown up around a large palm oasis that stands on the northern fringe of the Sahara. Surrounded by little other than desert and dry scrub land, historically it was an important stop on the trans-Saharan caravan routes. Today tourists come in numbers, many on organized coach tours from the coastal resorts, to get a taste of the mighty Sahara for themselves.
- Take a camel trip out into the Sahara with one of the many tour operators based in the town center.
- One independent (but insured) desert guide is Abdallah ben Said, who speaks basic English in addition to French and Arabic. +216 96 774 041, 
- Other tours into the desert can be arranged, including by motorbike or 4-Wheel-Drive, usually by the same tour operators.
- Visit the Chott al-Jerid. A vast dry salt lake with a thick crust of salt which sparkles in the sun. Look closely and you may see some mirages.
You can find good restaurants and cafés in Douz, (e.g. café of glissia "grandes dunes in "zone touristique"") or eat in hotels. There are 6 large hotels in Douz in the tourist zone, or you could even go into the desert and make the sand bread "Mella" with dates!
Mint tea is a local speciality.
Through the main square, where all the tourist wares are on display, and into the small bustling local market for fruit and veg, dates and olives, bread etc for your daily picnic.
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Douz on Wikivoyage.