29 hotels in this place
Stellenbosch is a city in the Western Cape of South Africa and is the heart of the Cape Winelands, South Africa's prime wine region.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Stellenbosch
A walking tour of Stellenbosch provides fascinating glimpses of colonial Dutch architecture. The Stellenbosch Tourism and Information Bureau, 36 Market St.,  organizes one and a half hour guided tours at 11.00 and 15.00 Monday to Friday (R80pp) and special groups can also be arranged for on request. Alternatively, buy the brochure "Historical Stellenbosch on Foot" from the Bureau for R5 and guide yourselves.
- Stellenbosch Museum, Ryneveldstreet 37, ☎ 0218872948. The Stellenbosch Village Museum consists of four adjacent houses of historical interest. Each of these homes represents a different period in the architectural development of the city. The houses, their interiors and their gardens have been restored, and furnished, to illustrate the particular style and taste of the time.
- The Powder House, Bloem St (close to the Information Centre). Powder, lead and flint were supplied to the inhabitants of Stellenbosch.During the first quarter of the 18th Century the annual allowance was 150 pounds of gunpowder, 100 ponds of lead bullets and 300 flintlock stones. This was delivered at the end of September each year for distribution to the citizen army. To avoid damage to the city in the event of an explosion the Powder House was situated away from the main town. These days it houses a small collection of weapons. R5.
- Fick House, 40 Bloem St (corner Bloem and Alexander). Well-preserved Dutch House. Inside is an excellent collection of traditional furniture, kitchen equipment, etc. that can be visited in office hours
- Theological Seminary, Dorp St.. On the site of the original settlement, which was on an island in the Eerste River until one of its watercourses was filled in. This became the first university-level institution in 1859. The garden contains two pines from Norfolk Island, near Australia, which the University's students sometimes like to climb!
Stellenbosch (founded in 1679) is about 50 km east of Cape Town and is the second oldest town in South Africa. It was named (like Simon's Town) after the former Governor Simon van der Stel. The town is situated on the banks of the Eerste River ('First River') and has some fine examples of Cape Dutch architecture. It is also known as 'Eikestad' ('Oak City') because of its oak tree lined streets. Wines from the Stellenbosch region are known internationally and rank among the best in the world. Stellenbosch is also home to one of the country's oldest established universities with over 25000 students. There is a bustling night life during the university term-time, with many night clubs catering for young people.
- Luhambo Tours, Cape Town, ☎ +27 21 551 04 67. Specialised in wine tours to Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, leaving daily from Cape Town. Small groups with specialised wine guides.
There are many good restaurants in the town. The area around Church Street is informally known as the local restaurant district, with approximately 19 venues within a four block radius.
- Apprentice, Andringa Street. Formerly known as L'Olive. Training restaurant for the Institute of Culinary Arts. Clean modern ambience. Fusion dishes, elegantly presented.
- Basic Bistro, 31 Church Street, ☎ +27 (0)21 883-3629. Offers a variety of international cuisine. Reviewed by Rossouw's Restaurants - 7/10 food, 8/10 service
- Binnenhof (Zest), Ryneveld Street. Formerly known as Zest. Has a lovely hidden courtyard at the back of the old house.
- Fandango, Bird Street, ☎ +27 (0)21 887-7506.
- Java Cafe, Church Street.
- Jan Cats Grand Cafe, Brasserie and Lounge, corner of Dorp and Andringa, ☎ +27 (0)21 887-3644. One of the oldest restaurants is town with a rich history. The restaurant has a versatile menu serving both local and international cuisine at sidewalk tables and in the main restaurant area. For a more casual experience the Grand Cafe is where you can relax, enjoy a rustic ambiance and perhaps endulge in a cigar or 2. Serving a variety of food, from 600g monster burgers to simple breakfasts starting from R9.50.
- Mugg 'n Bean, Checkers Centre, corner Dorp & Mill Streets, ☎ +27 (0)21 883-2972.
- Slowfood Market, Corner of Bosmans&Distilery rd. Sa 9AM-4PM.. There is a festive atmosphere and a variety of local foods to choose from. Come and see what the locals are up to and indulge in a aray of fresh produce, seafood, luxury bakes and fresly baked breads
- Wijnhuis, Cnr Church and Andringa, Central, ☎ +27 (0)21 887-5844, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Wijnhuis offers a wine tasting lounge, wine shop and restaurant in a charming setting situated in the heart of the old town. It is a bustling meeting place for visitors to Stellenbosch, locals and students alike.
Stellenbosch is not short of tourist shops. If you are tempted to take some of the local wine home, don't forget that it will not be accepted in airline hand luggage!
- Oom Samie se Winkel means "Uncle Samie's Shop" in Afrikaans. The shop is situated near the lower end of Dorp Street. You will find wines from the local wine estates, antiques, confectionary, sweets, jams, furniture and curios.
- Champagne (Chabivin (Champagne & MCC house)), Blaauklippen road (Paradyskloof) (www.chabivin.co.za), ☎ 021 8801643. Tue- Sat 9-5. New Champagne & MCC house in Stellenbosch!! Come and relax at Chabivin's Eucalyptus amphitheater while live music and cold bubbles make you appreciate the finer things in life... Either outside on the lawn on giant pillows or inside our rustic tasting room!
- Chabivin (Champagne & MCC house), Blaauwklippen Rd, Paradyskloof (www.chabivin.co.za), ☎ 021 8801643. 9-5. New Champagne & MCC house in Stellenbosch!! Come and relax at Chabivin's Eucalyptus amphitheater while live music and cold bubbles make you appreciate the finer things in life... Either outside on the lawn on giant pillows or inside our rustic tasting room!
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Stellenbosch on Wikivoyage.