2 hotels in this place
Upington is the biggest city in South Africa's Northern Cape Province and a good starting point to the famous Augrabies Falls. The town is situated on the banks of the Orange River.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Upington
The city itself is not very spectacular, but a typical medium sized country town.
- Camel and Rider statue, Schreuder Street, in front of the police station. A statue in recognition of the way law enforcement in this vast dry area was done in the past; by camel mounted police.
- Donkey statue, Schreuder Street. Donkeys were often employed to pump water in this dry place. Donkeys were so important in this area that they were awarded a statue in recognition for all the work they did. Even today you will see many people still using donkey carts as their primary transportation.
- Kalahari Orange Museum, ☎ +27 (0)54 332-6064. Open 9AM to 12:30PM and 2PM to 5PM, Monday to Friday. 9AM to 12PM on Saturdays. Information and exhibitions detailing the history of the area.
- Date palm avenue -- At the entrance to Die Eiland has more than 200 palm trees lining it's 1km length
- The Hortentia Windmill
- Dutch reformed church
- Grave of Scotty Smith
Popular events in Upington in the near future
- Oranje River Wine Cellars Co-Operation, ☎ +27 (0)54 337-8800, e-mail: email@example.com. The biggest cooperative in South Africa and the second biggest in the world. Wine tasting can be arranged for you, however most of the grapes are not used for wine production, but exported to Europe to be used as grapes and raisins
- Spitskop nature reserve (J13km north of the town on the R360), ☎ +27 (0)54 332-1336. Around 40km of drivable gravel roads, 3 hiking trails a telescope on a hill for distant game viewing. Many mammals, no carnivores.
- Kalahari kuierfees
- Upington Directory, 81 Wildebeest. Find any Business in Upington
- Arabesque Coffee Shop, ☎ +27(0)54 331-3412, fax: +27(0)54 331-3412, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Come and enjoy a cup of coffee. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Please book for groups.
- Sakkie se Arkie. The name literally translates to Sakkie's little ark (as in Noahs' Ark). A floating bar on the Orange River.
It offers a number of shopping malls and stores.
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Upington on Wikivoyage.