2 hotels in this place
The Bazaruto Archipelago is a group of islands off the coast of Vilanculos in Mozambique.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Bazaruto Island
Sand dunes are found throughout the Archipelago and tidal flats and inland saline lakes support a wide variety of seabird species. Coral reefs are also home to thousands of fish and coral species and marine mammal species. The largest dugong population along the eastern African coast can also be found here.
Mile after mile of deserted sandy beaches also grace the island. The leeward side of the island chain is surrounded by calm turquoise waters while the windward side offers an even more isolated and untamed seashore with waves constantly pounding the coastline.
- Vilankulo Ruins. The ruins outside of Vilankulo are not very known but definitely worth a visit. They are not inside the village, but outside close to the main highway heading to Inchope. Tour operators can help visitors explore these ruins on their way to, or from, Vilankulo.
Popular events in Bazaruto Island in the near future
About Bazaruto Island
The Bazaruto Archipelago consists of five idyllic islands: Bazaruto, Benguerra, Magaruque, Santa Carolina and Bangue. The Archipelago is truly one of the most beautiful destinations on the African continent. The area is now protected as a conservation area and national park, including the coral reefs surrounding the islands, making it the only official marine reserve in the country. The park is one of the largest in the Indian Ocean and a crucial achievement in global marine conservation. A nearly untouched paradise on earth, the archipelago has earned its reputation as the 'Pearl of the Indian Ocean'.
- Scuba diving – The archipelago's coral reefs and clear waters offer some of the best diving in the world, dive sites are uncrowded and marine life is varied and abundant. With sites at a depth of 12 to 30m and visibility up to 40m you will discover protected reefs teeming with dolphin, hump back whales, whale sharks, sharks, manta and spotted eagle rays, green and turtles.
- Dhow Safari – Experience the wonder of a traditional sailing dhow gliding through the Bazaruto Archipelago. The islands of Benguerra, Bazaruto, Magaruque and Santa Carolina are complete with azure waters, sandy beaches, palm trees and pristine coral reefs.
- Dive Bazaruto, ☎ +258 848506507, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. PADI Dive Resort center regular departures to Bazaruto and San Sebastian reefs and snorkeling areas phone contact Kyle or Nicole for all your activities during your stay in Vilanculos including special Accommodation packages.
- Game fishing – The area surrounding is ranked as the best Black Marlin destination in the Eastern Indian Ocean. The season runs from early October through to end of January each year. The Marlin come close in to the shallow waters around the Islands and can often be found feeding around the shoals of various species of tuna that frequent our waters during this time of the year. The Bazaruto Archipelago area also offers salt water fly fishing for the sought-after bonefish.
- Mozambique Horse Safari, ☎ +258 827639249, e-mail: email@example.com. Specializes in custom-made horse safaris and day rides on Benguerra Island. Enjoy long stretches of untouched white sand beaches and magnificent views overlooking the islands. The area is suitable for riders of all levels of ability. Contact Pat or Lucy.
- Sailaway Dhow Safaris, ☎ +258 823876350, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact David for fully catered day or overnight dhow sailing safaris departing from Vilanculos.
- Yacht Regal, ☎ +258 825314424, e-mail: email@example.com. Sailing catamaran offers day trips and liveaboard itineraries.
Unless you're staying at one of the resorts you'll likely have to pack a lunch from Vilanculos. If taking a dhow trip they will usually have chefs on board that prepare delicious meals, from salads to calamari.
Some of the resorts serve alcohol in their restaurants.
- Archipelago Resort, Chibuene, Vilanculos, ☎ +263 912 565 264, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. On site bar and restaurant: the bar is renowned for its exotic coctails, and the restaurant specialises in Portuguese cuisine and seafood (Prawns, crab & Lobster).
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Bazaruto Archipelago on Wikivoyage.