6 hotels in this place
Maun is an important village (with town status pending) in Botswana, and major gateway to the Okavango Delta.
No rooms are available for given criteria.
Filter the result
- 5 star hotel
- 4 star hotel
- 3 star hotel
- 2 star hotel
- 1 star hotel
- over 100 hotels
- 50-100 hotels
- 20-50 hotels
- 5-20 hotels
- below 5 hotels
Points of Interest
- Business object
- Civic property
- Golf course
- Green space
- Historic site
- Interesting place
- Sports facility
Points of Interest in Maun
Maun Education Park is easy walking distance from downtown and well worth 2 to 3 hours either early morning or late afternoon. It is the hidden jewel of Maun - with over 10 giraffes, wildebeest, kudu, impala, zebras, lechwe, warthogs and great birding.
Nhabe Museum has regular exhibitions and friendly staff to answer your questions or give advice. Don't miss their gift shop.
There is an ancient bridge that is supported by living trees in Matlapaneng,on your way to Moremi Game Reserve. The bridge is in a poor state and you might be the last to see it.
- Self Drive Adventures (Self Drive Adventures), Private Bag 114, Suite 28, Maun, ☎ +267 686 3755. Fully safari equipped 4x4 vehicle hire including satellite phone, GPS, logistical & mechanical support and unlimited mileage.
- Botswana Quality Baskets, Box 1382, Maun, ☎ 267-72271422. Visit the website - see the map - visit the shop. Buy some baskets or learn to weave.
- Dumela Botswana (Pty) Ltd (firstname.lastname@example.org), Ha 117 Hak Maun Botswana (Francistown Rd Boseja), ☎ ++267 75001315. 24/7. Dumela Botswana a registered inbound tour operator in Maun offer Botswana safaris and lodge holidays for all ages and budgets in the Okavango Delta, Moremi and Chobe Game Reserves. 130US$.
- Travel Adventures Botswana, Private Bag BO 13, Maun, Botswana, ☎ +267 686 1211. Low mileage Toyota Landcruiser or Toyota Hilux, fully equipped for 4X4 safari rental. Competitive rental prices include satellite phone, double roof top tents, medical evacuation insurance and mechanical support. Drop off and collections available in Maun, Kasane, Gaborone and Windhoek.
Okavango scenic flights
There are several small operators on or near the Maun airport. They provide a combination of transfers of tourists between Maun and safari camps in the Okavango, plus sightseeing flights, plus charter flights to other points. They mostly fly small, piston-engine propeller planes carrying three to 10 passengers (Cessna 206, Cessna 210, Cessna 172, and the like). Prices given here are a flat rate for a generic one-hour scenic tour in an aircraft carrying 3 or 5 passengers ("pax"); add a departure tax of BWP50/person. Contact the operators in advance for a specific and updated quote, or to ask about charters to other destinations.
- Delta Air, Mathiba I Rd. (Office is across from Maun airport), ☎ +267 6860 044, +267 6861 682, e-mail: email@example.com. 08h - 17h daily. A fleet of seven aircraft flies 5,000 passengers per year. Has ties to Delta Camp and Oddballs. BWP 1250 (5 pax) +P50/pp.
- Kavango Air, ☎ +267 6860 323, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Price is for a flight in the 4-seat Cessna 172. BWP 1,500 (3 pax) +P50/pp.
- Moremi Air (1st Floor, Maun Airport Building), ☎ +267 686 3632, fax: +267 686 2078, e-mail: email@example.com. Based primarily in Maun, they also have one plane in Kasane. Their charter and sightseeing range includes Livingstone, Victoria Falls, Lusaka, Windhoek, Gaborone, and Johannesburg. USD 290 (5 pax) inc tax.
- Northern Air (Opposite the airport building), ☎ +267 6860 385. Now owned by tour operator Ker & Downey, and mostly fly to their camps. Fly Cessna 206's.
- Mack Air, Mathiba I Rd, ☎ +267 6860 675, fax: +267 686-0036, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org. A well-regarded operator, independent of the camps. Also offer charter service to Kasane, Windhoek, Livingstone, Francistown, and Gaborone.
- Sefofane, Mathiba I Rd (In the Okavango Wilderness Safaris office block, near the airport gates), ☎ +267 6860 778, fax: +267 6861 649. The largest of the air operators. They are affiliated with Wilderness Safaris, and thus fly most of Wilderness Safari's clients. Sefofane also gives flight instruction. BWP 2,000 (5 pax) +P50/pp.
- Helicopters Horizons, ☎ +267 680 1186, fax: +267 680 1185, e-mail: email@example.com. Mo-Fr 08-17h, Sun. Offers flights in helicopters instead of fixed-wing aircraft. This is a great experience!.
- Merlin Air Services, Mathiba I Rd. (Just outside airport gates), ☎ +267 6860 351. Not an air operator themselves, Merlin has a long history as a booking agent and communications relay for tour and aircraft operators.
- Safari Air. Primarily does the transfers for Desert and Delta Safaris lodges.
Popular events in Maun in the near future
Maun is a prime take-off location for mobile safaris into the Okavango Delta, Parks and Game Reserves.
- Moremi Game Reserve, a world class game reserve, is only 80 km away, It offers undisturbed game viewing in varies woodland plains environments.
- Afro Trek Safaris. Operates from Maun. Trips generally range from overnight to 10 days.
- Bush Camp Safaris. Is another excellent mobile safari company. Many travelers consider mobile safaris the best way to see Botswana and the big game it has to offer.
If you want to work out, there is a gym with day passes behind Hilary's (or rather, behind the naturopath next door to Hilary's).
- Flying Mission Services, Maun Airport.
- Bon Arrivee is just across the street from the airport. International breakfasts, lunches , dinner and a full range of refreshments await you.
- Audi Camp has a great open kitchen, where you can watch your meal being cooked. You eat under one of the largest thatch roofs you may ever see.
- Try Hilary's Coffee Shop near the airport - cheap and cheerful, a regular lunchtime spot for locals because the menu is full of delicious homemade dishes. The menu shows real imagination. Whether planning to eat outdoors on the verandah or inside get there early to enjoy the greatest selection.
- Sports Bar is good for a more formal, European style dining experience.
- Try local dishes such as papa (maize meal- the staple food), magunya (Fried dough balls- available for around 50 thebe), seswa (shredded meat- usually beef or goat), morogo (green, leafy vegetable similar to spinach). These foods are available ready made at most supermarkets or at local eateries such as "Choice" across from Riley's Garage. If you're feeling adventurous, in season, mopane worms (the caterpillar of the mopane moth) are also available in many different forms- dried and salted, stewed or fried.
- Food is also available at River Lodge, The Bridge Backpackers, Tamalakane Lodge, and Crocodile Camp all of which, along with Audi camp, are popular places to stay for backpackers.
- French Connection on Mophane Avenue serves bistro style food, croissants etc. Don't be put off by the simple-looking entrance and sign - this place is awesome. The owners are very friendly, and they grind all their own herbs and spices and prepare all food from scratch. Their shawarmas are to die for and coupled with their home-made lemonade there is nothing better you could ask for in the sunshine. The eating area is well shaded and relaxed, with basic furniture and serene atmosphere.
- RAW serves smoothies, wraps and other healthfood. Nice, different concept for Botswana, doesn't feel like it is in the middle of an African village.
- Sedia Riverside Hotel. Have a delicious meal either in the Dining Room or relax at their Poolside Terrace
- Arts Cafe, Motsana - Matlapaneng (on the Moremi RD before Audi Camp turnoff), ☎ +267 72241444. Petite coffee shop offering a variety of food and drink. Patrons sit in an open courtyard set in the center of a unique piece of architecture, Mauns Castle.
- Trekkers Nightclub - Is popular primarily with the locals. Ex-pats will warn you not to go, but is perfectly safe if you're reasonably cautious.
- Okavango River Lodge
- Audi Camp
- Bar 2000
- Back to the Bridge Backpackers
- Sedia Riverside Hotel. Sedia Riverside Hotel - Maun offers rooms, chalets, accommodated camping and conference facilities. They have an internet cafe, craft shop, large pool and terrace bar. It combines the best of African Values and World Class Value. Come and experience the unique ambiance provided by our staff and facilities.
- Wine and Dine. Great way to try a lot of different local dishes at one time! As well as a Mopane worm if you are up for the challenge!
There are several souvenir stores right around the airport, including Bush Telegraph, and Jazella's.
Baskets @ P50
Tswee - a local vegetable
- Motsana - Matlapaneng (On the Moremi road before Audi Camp turnoff), ☎ +267 72241444. Motsana is a new Cultural Center in Maun that boasts 7 shops, 2 dance studios, a coffee shop, stage & open air courtyard. Its strives to provide both Locals & Tourist with entertainment, shopping, food & drink within the walls of a unique yet spectacular piece of architecture!
- Moroko trip. A moroko trip a traditional dugout canoe with a poler that pushes you through the waterways of the okavango delta even combine it with an overnight stay camping or hiking. A MUST DO! Any travel agency can arrange this. Depending who you book this with the price varies.
This article is based on Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 Licensed text from the article Maun on Wikivoyage.